Ahead of year-end charitable giving, Facebook unveiled another way to simplify the donation process for nonprofits on Instagram. Several organizations can now add a “Donate” button directly to the top of their Instagram profiles, just as they can on Facebook.
In the spring of 2019, Instagram added the donation sticker to its stories feature so users could easily support their favorite causes, with 100 percent of contributions going directly to participating 501(c)(3) organizations. This latest structural change to nonprofit profiles was not widely announced, but according to Forbes, seven of the 10 largest U.S. Charities already had the donate button installed on their primary Instagram profiles as of Nov. 6, 2019.
If you’re eager to add the donate button to your org’s profile, below is a rundown of the steps, also outlined on Instagram’s help center. As you build out your strategies for year-end fundraising, we recommend making it as easy as possible to accept gifts through your supporters’ preferred platform. In other words, if you’ve got a growing or sizable Instagram following, giddy up on installing the donate button to your profile.
In order to raise funds via Instagram, you must:
- Be a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit in the U.S.
- Enroll and approved for Facebook Charitable Giving Tools.
- Switch to an Instagram business account, if you haven’t already.
- Link your nonprofit’s Instagram business account with your nonprofit’s verified Facebook Page.
- If this is your first time linking to your Page or enrolling with Facebook Charitable Giving Tools, check to make sure that people are able to add donation stickers on Instagram for your nonprofit. You can do this by clicking Publishing Tools at the top of your Facebook Page and selecting Donation Settings below Fundraisers. Click to check the box next to Allow people to add donation stickers on Instagram Stories and click Save.
To add a donate button to your nonprofit’s Instagram business account:
- Confirm that your nonprofit organization has taken the steps above to become eligible to fundraise on Instagram.
- Go to your profile and tap .
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Business > Donations.
- Tap next to Add Donate Button to Profile.